Two weeks after the earthquake in Turkey, they are still rescuing animals Global |: news

The 7.8-magnitude earthquake on February 6 killed at least 45,000 people and injured several more. Another 6.4-magnitude earthquake occurred in Turkey, and on February 21, the second one with 5.8-magnitude.

Search and rescue missions for missing pets in the hardest-hit area of ​​Antakya continued this week.

Humane Society International (HSI) says teams tend to injure or abandon animals in collapsed buildings.

They also found female dogs with puppies and rescued cats from high balconies.

Kelly Donithan, director of disaster response at HSI, says: “When you’re surrounded by the utter devastation of Antakya day after day, knowing how many people and animals have lost their lives, it’s easy to feel hopeless.

“But I’ve definitely found hope in every dog, cat, puppy, parrot, rooster and rabbit we’ve helped save.

“We’ve had quite a few tearful reunions now, and I’m so happy to share those moments with the survivors here who, despite losing so much, at least have something back that means so much to them.”

Animals found by HSI go to foster homes around the country in hopes of being adopted if their owner dies.

There are still hopes that some of the pets will be reunited with their families, many of whom have fled the region.

A dog named Dost, who HSI rescued from the roof, stayed at their camp while they tried to find his family.

She went into foster care after those attempts failed, but “remarkably” her family saw her photo on Facebook and came forward to claim her.

Mrs Donitan said: “It’s deeply exciting to be a part of this reunion.”

A month after the biggest earthquake, at least 1.5 million people are homeless, and it is unclear how long it will take for them to find adequate shelter.

Turkey’s Afad disaster agency said nearly two million people have now left the quake zone, many living with friends or loved ones elsewhere in the country.

More than 160,000 buildings collapsed or were badly damaged.

A cat trapped in an apartment for more than two weeks was rescued when the military heard its desperate cries.

Fluffy, whose cream-grey coat matches his name, was saved when the military used a drone to peer through a third-floor window after last month’s earthquake in Turkey.

A cat that was not microchipped had kidney failure due to dehydration.

The spokesperson of Humane Society International said: “He has not been microchipped, but a Facebook search using the name found on the apartment showed the owner returned our calls and was thrilled the cat was safe.”

HSI also featured Fluffy live on Facebook in hopes that his owner would recognize him.

Nurse Rumeysa Gyurbuz was injured in the earthquake in Turkey and separated from her cat, Leila.

Rumeysa was evacuated to Istanbul after damaging her leg in last month’s earthquake.

She put out an appeal on Facebook in an attempt to find her animal, which had been turned over to the Humane Society International (HSI).

An HSI spokesperson said: “Her house was completely destroyed and during HSI’s first search, there was no sign of Layla.

“But Kelly Donithan, our team leader, asked the owner to voicemail Leila’s name to help get her out after dark, and after a lot of patience, it worked.”

The team said there were “lots of happy grunts” from Leila when she was safe.

Layla was later reunited with her happy owner, who was also tearfully reunited with Kelly.

The rescue took place about an hour outside of Antakya, in a place called Iskenderun, where Rumeisa worked in a hospital that was destroyed.

Source link