These portobello mushroom burgers is one of the tastiest vegetarian sandwiches you’ll ever have. Not only do they look like regular burgers, they also have a similar texture and taste.
Best Portobello Mushroom Burger Recipe
Even the biggest meat heads out there will love these meatless burgers. The secret is the marinade for the mushrooms. It gives this precious fungus a meaty, savory flavor that’s sure to make your mouth water.
And of course, nothing goes with a burger like some tasty toppings. We kept it simple but delicious with some red onions, pepperoni cheese and ketchup, and a garlic hummus dressing. But feel free to get creative and add your favorite toppings.
Why will you like it?
Makes the juiciest, tastiest portobello burgers stuffed with plant-based goodness.
A super quick and easy vegetarian recipe.
A great way to get your non-veg friends and family to try something different.
The marinade is out of this world good.
Health Benefits of Portobello Mushroom Burgers
Portobello mushroom burgers are an easy and delicious way to enjoy the flavor of beef without all the unhealthy saturated fat. Here are just a few reasons why you should consider eating portobello instead of beef patties:
- Rich in fiber and low in calories. Portobello mushrooms are an excellent source of dietary fiber and are very low in calories, making them an excellent choice for a healthy lifestyle.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals. Portobello is rich in B vitamins, zinc, magnesium, selenium and potassium. All of these nutrients are associated with various health benefits, such as boosting the immune system and reducing inflammation.
- Healthy for the heart. Not only are portobellos free of saturated fat, they also contain compounds known as sterols, which can help lower cholesterol levels and improve heart health.
- Delicious. Portobello mushrooms have a delicious, meaty flavor and texture that will satisfy even the most discerning burger lover. They go great with any kind of bun or condiment, so you can make your favorite burgers without compromising on flavor.
- Portobello mushrooms. use large mushrooms as they have a great earthy flavor and are about the size of burgers.
- Red onion. We used red onion as the burger for this recipe, but feel free to use your favorite burger toppings.
- Pepper Jack cheese. great melted cheese to put on mushrooms. You can also use your favorite vegan cheese.
- Chopped greens. any kind will do. We recommend arugula, spinach, romaine, and more.
- Onion burger buns. we love the flavor that onion pancakes bring to the table. However, use any type of hamburger you like.
- Garlic hummus. You can get plain hummus, but garlic makes everything better.
- Ketchup. adds a layer of sweetness and flavor that balances this burger perfectly.
Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
If you love portobello mushroom burgers, you’ll love these grilled portobellos. Make them as a side or main dish.
get the recipe
What’s in our Homemade Mushroom Marinade?
Our Grilled Portobello Mushroom Marinade is quick, easy and absolutely delicious! This is the secret to making portobello mushroom burgers taste real. Here’s what’s in them.
- Worcestershire sauce
- Balsamic vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Brown sugar
- Dijon mustard
Add all marinade ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
Dip the mushrooms in the marinade several times to coat them. Let the mushrooms marinate for 1 hourturning them in half.
Preheat the grill 400ºF and clean the grill grates.
SESENE AND GRILLED ONIONS
Then put the onion rounds on a plate, Drizzle them with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Once the grill is hot, transfer the onions to the grill over indirect heat. Grill the onion for 10 minuteshalf turning.
Place the mushroom cap side down on the grill over indirect heat. Grill the mushrooms on the hood for 3 minutes, turn over and grill for another 2 minutes.
Put a piece of cheese on the mushrooms and close the grill for 1 minute, allowing the cheese to melt. Remove them from the grill.
While the mushrooms are cooking, Combine hummus and ketchup in a bowl.
COLLECT THE BURGERS!
Now it’s time to put all this goodness together.
Place the bottom of the burger bun on a plate and transfer ½ cup of the greens onto the bun. Top the greens with the mushroom pie, and the pie with grilled onion rings.
ADD SAUCE, SERVE + ENJOY
Eventually, spread the top donut with 2-3 tablespoons of hummus sauce to finish the burger. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Just because it’s a portobello mushroom burger doesn’t mean it has to be boring. Here are some fun topping ideas to make your burgers even tastier:
Store leftover portobello in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
You want to keep the mushrooms separate from the fillings so the mushrooms don’t get soggy. Extras can come in smaller airtight containers or Ziploc bags.
Can I freeze my portobello mushroom burgers?
We do not recommend freezing portobello mushroom burgers as thawing and reheating will break down the texture. We recommend making fresh burgers every time.
Portobello Mushroom Burgers
These portobello mushroom burgers not only are they similar to regular burgers, they also have a similar texture and taste.
Preparation.1: hour 20:00 minute
That’s all.1: hour 37: minute
- 4: large portobello mushrooms sprayed, rinsed and dried
- ½: tea spoon kosher salt
- 1: large red onion sliced round
- 1: table spoon olive oil
- 1: tea spoon kosher salt
- 4: sliced pepper jack cheese
- 2: cups chopped greens arugula, spinach, romaine, etc.
- 4: sweet onion burger buns
- ½: glass garlic hummus
- ½: glass ketchup
Place all marinade ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
Dip the mushrooms in the marinade several times to coat them. Let the mushrooms marinate for 1 hour, turning halfway through.
Preheat grill to 400ºF and clean grates.
Place the onion rings on a plate and sprinkle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Once the grill is hot, transfer the onions to the grill over indirect heat. Grill the onion for 10 minutes, turning halfway through.
Then move the mushroom cap down on the grill over indirect heat. Grill the mushrooms for 3 minutes on the hood side, flip and grill for another 2 minutes.
Place a piece of cheese on top of the mushrooms and close the grill for 1 minute, allowing the cheese to melt. Remove them from the grill.
While the mushrooms are cooking, combine the hummus and ketchup in a bowl.
Assemble the burgers. Place the bottom of the burger bun on a plate and transfer ½ cup greens to the bun. We fill the mushroom pie with greens, and the pie with grilled onion rings.
Finally, spread 2-3 tablespoons of hummus sauce on the bun to finish the burger. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes:
- Be sure to find large portobello mushrooms.
- You can use your favorite burger toppings instead of our burger toppings.
Calories. 382will you Carbohydrates. 45:00is Proteins: 10:00is Fat. 19:00is Fiber. 5:00is Sugar: 16:00is
Photography. The photos in this post are courtesy of Ashley McGlaughlin of The Edible Perspective.