In the first part of our blog series on the growth of the online pet products business, we provided an overview of the challenges, customers and industry dynamics of one of the fastest growing segments of e-commerce. However, setting up shop is only one aspect of a successful online pet businesse. Y:our next challenge will be mastering pet product marketing to connect customers with the products they (and their pets) are looking for. In this blog wewill study pet marketing tips to help you fine-tune your e-commerce strategyvillage to contact different pet lover audience effectively.
Effective pet marketing begins with studying the motivations of retail buyers
The first step to successful pet product marketing is understanding your customers’ motivations. This is no easy feat when a full third from all In the coming years, pet products will be bought online. Many of those purchases are for everyday pet needs like dog and cat food, toys, and accessories like leashes and food bowls. Retail consumers also purchase pet-related gifts, souvenirs, and trinkets to make their pets’ lives more enjoyable (Chewy stocks. more than 400 species carpeted cat apartments). Marketing to this audience should reflect the important role pets play in people’s lives and help buyers feel good about investing in their pets’ health and happiness.
- Retail customers prioritize product quality, safety and durability
- Help retail buyers understand product size, weight, and other physical attributes
- Marketing messages and promotions for pet products should reflect the close family ties that many people have with their pets.
If you’re wondering how to market dog food or other pet supplies to a retail audience, a good rule of thumb is to focus on the unique benefits each product offers. Is your dog food made with all-natural ingredients? Do your pet toys offer durability unmatched by the competition? Will buying in bulk save pet owners time and money? Are some products specially formulated for unique species or breeds? Mention these points in your product descriptions, e-mails, etc. in emails, paid ads, and even website category titles/organization to directly appeal to retail buyer motivations.
Catering to the professional B2B pet product buyer or reseller
As in other industries, B2B pet supply buyers have unique purchasing needs that require a different approach to pet marketing. These buyers are often interested in bulk orders and may prioritize factors such as pricing, product availability, and shipping logistics. These attributes can actually be an important component of a successful pet brand marketing B2B buyers. Not only should your e-commerce platform be customized to facilitate features like quick order forms, auto-display wholesale/account-based pricing, and real-time order shipment tracking, you can also get great results using these features. points of sale when marketing your brand. The effectiveness of the shopping experience is a great topic in itself when marketing to B2B buyers, and will help set your store apart from the competition. Read more about effective B2B marketing here.
- B2B buyers focus on the speed, relevance and efficiency of their time spent in your store. let them know this is what they can expect when they shop with you.
- Real-time tracking, bulk orders, and automated account-based pricing are important shopping attributes that can be used to market your store as attractive to B2B buyers.
- Detailed technical specifications and safety compliance messages are an important part of product marketing content and commerce for B2B.
Pet Marketing SEO
Making sure potential customers can find your store is just as important as what you put there.
Pet product keywords, when used strategically, can increase your pet supply website’s visibility online. Because this industry is so competitive, you may find that ranking common pet-related conditions is difficult. When searching for target keywords, consider using more specific category and product-related words that directly reflect your product offerings (think “leather dog collars” versus more general and competitive keywords like “pet supplies”).
Technical SEO Also very important for search ranking and should be part of any marketing strategy.we’ve written more about how to set up websites for technical SEO here.
Overcoming the unique challenges of marketing pet products
Marketing pet products begins with one very unique challenge: the “dual audience” nature of the products. people shop but pets use the products. This requires an empathetic, solution-focused approach to understanding both human buyers and animal users. Standing out from growing competition, ensuring regulatory messaging is accurate, and meeting consumer demand for personalized products all add to the complexity of developing a pet marketing strategy. Here are 8 areas to address in an effective pet product marketing effort:
1. “Dual audience” dilemma. Achieving satisfaction for both human buyers and animal “end users” simultaneously can be difficult. Effective pet marketing must address both.
2. Increasing competition. Many brands are fighting for market share in this competitive field. A polished, relevant and fast e-commerce site can be a strong brand differentiator.
3. Demand for personalization. Consumers are looking for personalized products for their pets, but all e-commerce shoppers benefit when a website is personalized for their specific shopping needs.
4. Product quality. Pet owners and businesses place a premium on pet welfare. This leads to increased demand for safe, quality products, including environmentally friendly, organic products.
5. Regulatory issues. Compliance with animal product safety regulations, which may vary from location to location, is both a service and a selling point for customers; marketing content can emphasize relevance as a positive feature of the shopping experience.
6. Product education. Educating consumers about product benefits and uses is a great way to drive conversions and a great foundation for marketing campaigns.
7. Price sensitivity. Balancing quality and affordability is key to many types of e-commerce sales and can be a great ingredient for effective marketing in this segment.
8. Maintaining brand loyalty. Marketing materials not only drive today’s sales, but they become part of a complete brand presentation that can increase customer loyalty and drive repeat purchases in a very saturated market.
Stands out from the pack
Back 261 billion The pet supply industry is highly competitive in global sales 2022, making it important for your pet care marketing strategy to emphasize what sets your business apart. Maybe it’s your commitment to sustainability, exceptional customer service, or your innovative products. Whatever your best brand, website, and product attributes are, make sure they’re front and center in your pet product marketing efforts.
- Differentiation is key in a competitive market.
- State what specifically sets your business and products apart (think in terms of customer benefits).
- Remember that a fast and efficient website/shopping experience is also a very effective marketing message, especially for B2B buyers.
Understand your customers’ needs and adapt your strategy accordingly
Whether you’re starting a pet supply business or looking to improve your existing one, effective pet product marketing can help you connect with your target audience and grow your business. Remember that pet marketing is not a one-size-fits-all approach. It requires a deep understanding of your different types of customers, a keen eye for industry trends, and the ability to leverage e-commerce features as brand differentiators that make your customers’ lives easier. With these elements in place, you’re well on your way to creating an ecommerce experience for your customers that deserves all the attention.
About the writer
Cathy Elquist, Digital Marketing Strategist at Miva, is an accomplished writer, marketer and social media analyst who has created complex content campaigns for a wide range of professional clients. He brings to Miva a sophisticated understanding of e-commerce trends and techniques based on extensive digital agency experience and a primary role as the direct liaison to Miva’s top accounts. Katie is a regular contributor to the Miva blog, covering key e-commerce topics such as design and development strategy, website optimization, and omnichannel sales, with the goal of growing the existing knowledge base of the entire Miva community.