In the world of website domain names, there are many options to choose from. Two of the most common and widely used domain extensions are .net and .com. While both can be used for any purpose, they have distinct differences that can affect how website visitors and search engines perceive them. Now let’s take a closer look at the comparisons .net vs .com domain extensions.
.Net vs .Com. What is domain extension?
Before we take a deeper look at the comparisons of the 2 domain extensions, you should know what they are and some basic information about them.
.Net Domain Extension
.net is a popular software development platform that helps developers create applications or websites using C# or Visual Basic. Furthermore, it offers support for additional languages such as Java and PHP. Using .net extensibility, developers can create code that connects to cross-platform services.
Originally intended for networking technology organizations, the .net domain extension is now commonly used for any purpose by individuals and organizations around the world.
Although the .net domain extension was originally intended for a specific purpose, it can now be used for any purpose and is often associated with technical or networking organizations. Many businesses and individuals choose the .net domain extension as an alternative to the more familiar .com extension, especially if their desired domain name is already taken with the .com extension.
.Com domain extension
The .com domain extension is one of the original top-level extensions (TLDs) created in 1985. This indicates that the website with the .com extension is owned by and will be located in the US Central Office of Internet Domain Names (COID).
Back in 1995, when it became difficult for visitors outside the US to access websites hosted there without using an international proxy server or bypassing routing restrictions, this was critical. However, many additional TLDs are available and can be used as replacement domains by Americans. So if you’re not in the US, it might not be a brilliant idea to get a .com domain name right now.
The .com domain extension is the most popular and recognized TLD, which stands for “commercial” and is intended for use by commercial organizations. Due to its widespread popularity and recognition, the .com domain extension is often the first choice for businesses and individuals to choose a domain name for their websites.
.Net vs .Com. similarities
While there are some differences between the .net and .com domain extensions, there are also some similarities. Choosing between the two depends on your organization’s needs and goals and the perception of what domain extension can create for your brand.
- Both domain extensions are available to anyone, regardless of location or website purpose.
- Both domain extensions are widely recognized and familiar to Internet users, making them easy to remember and find.
- Both domain extensions have been used for many years and have been established as trusted and reliable domain name options.
- Both domain extensions are supported by most web hosting providers and website building platforms, making it easy to create a website with either extension.
- Both domain extensions can create a professional and credible online presence for individuals and organizations.
.Net vs .Com. The differences
While .com and .net domain extensions can be used for any purpose, they differ in their intended use, association, reach, perception and SEO potential. These factors are important to consider when choosing a domain extension for your website. Here are some key differences between the two:
Intended for use
- The .com domain extension was originally intended for commercial businesses, but it can be used for any purpose by any individual or organization.
- The .net domain extension was originally intended for networking technology organizations, but it can also be used by anyone for any purpose.
- As the most common domain extension, .com domain names can be more difficult than .net domain names. Many popular .com domain names have already been registered, making it more difficult to find an available option.
- The .net domain extension may be easier to find affordable options for because it is less commonly used than .com.
- The annual cost of The.com extension ranges from $8 to $16.
- The annual cost of the.net extension is $10 to $15.
- The .com domain extension is generally associated with commercial businesses and is considered the standard for domain names.
- The .net domain extension is often associated with technology or networking organizations, but can be used by any individual or organization.
- Because of its association with commercial enterprises, a .com domain extension can be perceived as more trustworthy and reliable than a .net domain extension.
- A .net domain extension can be perceived as more technical or specialized, which can be an advantage for businesses in specific industries.
- Because of its popularity, the .com domain extension can have an advantage in search engine rankings over the .net domain extension.
- However, the .net domain extension may be less competitive in some areas, making it easier to rank for certain keywords.
.Net vs .Com. Which domain extension should you choose?
Considering the purpose of your website and the advantages and disadvantages of .net and .com domain extensions, you can easily choose the right domain extension that suits your needs.
Why choose a .Net domain extension?
Unlike .com, .net is an abbreviation of the word “network”. It was created with networking technology companies and organizations in mind. Although less popular than.com, it is still widely used. Although it was practically exclusively used by businesses involved in technology and the Internet, it is now considered a viable commercial domain extension option for organizations unable to obtain a.com TLD.
- Better for network providers and service providers.
- In the online world, the.net domain name is very accessible.
- Getting a domain name is simpler.
- Just like getting ranked fast in SEO on as.com
- It is the most popular extension for technology related websites.
- You can use it to promote your service based businesses.
- To compete with a comparable .com site, .net sites must be more aggressively promoted.
- It couldn’t rank well for commercial sites.
- Only websites or companies that provide technology-related information or services can use the .net domain extension.
- People will end up on your competitors’ websites if your company isn’t already established or if they don’t know your full website URL.
- Network-related businesses.
- Enterprises that provide managed technology services.
Why Choose a .Com Domain Extension?
The top-level domain extension .com, which stands for “commercial,” was originally created for use on business websites. Anyone (individuals or corporations) can register for the a.com TLD; however, due to its popularity, it can be the most difficult and competitive to obtain, depending on your desired root domain name.
- A larger audience is more familiar with it.
- Domain.com has specialized live support and is mobile friendly.
- It helps build trust for commercial websites.
- Most companies prefer the .com domain.
- Expansion options available.
- With a .com domain name, you can create a more significant online presence because they are more likely to rank well than domains with other extensions.
- Because customers are familiar with it, adopting the .com domain extension makes branding easier.
- You cannot use the .com domain extension for a non-profit website, as it is mainly used for commercial websites.
- Finding the perfect domain name that is not in use can be difficult as over 50% of websites are based on the .com extension.
- Commercial (for profit) enterprises.
- Personal website.
Bonus Tips: which is better for SEO?
Whether one is superior for SEO is a frequent topic .net vs .com debates (SEO). Strictly speaking, domain extensions do not affect a website’s performance on Google and other search engines.
So, there is almost no difference between .net and .com when it comes to driving organic traffic. All domain extensions, including .org, .io, and .info, have the same potential to rank for competitive keywords purely from an SEO standpoint.
While domain names don’t directly affect search rankings, they do affect how memorable your URL is, since .com is the extension most commonly associated with websites. This can affect website traffic, how visitors view it, or how easily they can find it (for example, when someone searches for your root domain name online and then selects .com and .net between, for example).
Get started now to grow your online business with the best AliExpress Dropshipping tool, DSers.
TRY FREE NOW!
Most consumers will eventually visit your website if you stick with the most popular extension, .com, for most businesses. Even technology and networking companies can confirm this (for example, Outlook, Gmail, and other complimentary business email providers use .com extensions).
Therefore, from an SEO perspective, it doesn’t matter whether you choose a .com or a .net if you’re considering either. Both domain extensions will have the same effect on search results.
Both of them .net vs .com domain extensions have their own unique features and characteristics that can affect a website’s branding, perception, and search engine optimization. Ultimately, the choice of domain extension depends on the nature of the site, its target audience, and the availability of domain names with each extension.
By understanding the differences between .net and .com domain extensions, website owners can make an informed decision by choosing a domain name that best represents their brand and online identity. Discover more online strategies DSers blog.