In this blog post, we’ll explore what the Instagram algorithm is, why it’s important, and what you can do to get your content noticed. We’ll also provide advice on how to use the algorithm to your advantage so you can maximize your reach and engagement on the platform.
What is the Instagram algorithm?
Instagram’s algorithm determines which posts appear in users’ Feeds. It is based on various factors like user history, post popularity, timeliness, etc. The purpose of the algorithm is to show each
Even if two people follow the same accounts or like similar content, their Feeds will look slightly different. It depends on who follows them and how often they interact with certain types of posts.
Why should you care about the Instagram algorithm?
It is important for businesses and content creators to understand how the algorithm works to maximize message visibility and engagement levels. By optimizing your posts according to current trends and best practices, you can ensure they reach as many followers as possible. High visibility leads to higher brand awareness and potentially increased revenue.
Furthermore, keeping up with algorithm changes gives you an edge over competitors who may not be aware of emerging trends or best practices. Staying fresh keeps you ahead of the curve in maximizing brand visibility on Instagram.
How does the Instagram algorithm work?
Instagram’s algorithm prevents users from drowning in an endless stream of content. Only posts with high engagement reach the followers’ streams. To make sure that each of your posts is seen, liked and shared, you should follow the tips below.
Here are the factors Instagram’s algorithm takes into account when prioritizing posts in the feed:
- InterestBased on your previous engagement with similar content, Instagram’s algorithm predicts whether you’re going to enjoy this post.
- Relations: how close you are to the person who shared the post, based on how often you’ve interacted with their profile in the past.
- The last period: as the post recently shared.
- Frequency:: How often do you open Instagram?
- FollowingIf you follow multiple profiles, the platform will show posts from a wider range of accounts.
- Usage:The app takes into account if you stick to short sessions or spend more time browsing.
As you can see, Instagram’s algorithm considers your past behavior to create a unique feed for you. To make sure you enjoy your personalized feed, the app also prioritizes content with the most engagement from other users.
The most important engagement for feed ranking is comments, likes, shares, saves and video views. Fake interactions (like bot comments) are detected and not counted.
How to work with the Instagram algorithm
Now that we’ve covered some of the basics of what affects a post’s position on someone’s timeline, let’s talk about some actionable steps you can take to get your posts more exposure and gain leverage over the competition.
First, go to the business profile. With a business profile, you can access an analysis of your profile called Instagram Insights. The Insight tool will help you understand who is engaging with your business and which content is getting the most interaction from your followers. Notice which Reels, Stories, Posts and IGTV are performing well. Then you can create more content that works.
Once you have a business profile, keep the following points in mind when working with Instagram
Get more interactions for your content
You’ve learned that interactions (likes, shares, comments, and views) are vital to proving to Instagram’s algorithm that your content is engaging and worth showing to larger audiences. So how do you create content that people want to engage with?
Here’s how to encourage audience engagement on Instagram.
- Check out Instagram Insights to find out when your followers are most active. You can then use this data to maintain your posting schedule. Post frequently and consistently.
- Use Stories Stickers like polls, emoji sliders, and question stickers.
- Write captions that spark conversations. Include a call to action at the end. For example, ask your audience to share their thoughts and ideas. Be sure to reply to your follower’s comments.
- Share a preview of your ribbons or IGTV videos to your feed and stories to get more views.
- Use hashtags reach audiences relevant to your brand and rank your posts.
- Encourage your followers respond to your stories with fast emojis.
- Invite your followers to DM you with questions or feedback.
- Use geotags to make your content easier to discover.
- Post stories multiple times a day to appear at the top of your followers’ story feed.
- Post the rolls regularly to reach more people beyond your followers.
- When sharing life hacks or tips, remind users that they can save it to try later.
Include video content
In the era of vertical video, using video content on Instagram is essential to getting your posts seen by more users. Videos are more
Video content increases user engagement, which tells the platform that your post is interesting and relevant. This increases your content’s visibility in the algorithm, meaning more eyes will see the content you want to see.
Reels are one of Instagram’s newest features and a great way to increase your reach. They allow you to create short videos that appear in the Explore tab and can be discovered outside of your followers. This is great for increasing your visibility on the platform.
You can use reels for all kinds of content. Reels can be used to display, showcase your products or services
Making videos is also helpful in increasing your reach. They are great to give users
Make it a habit to post frequent video stories and tapes and stick to it. Reels will help you reach a wider audience. Stories will attract new followers and help you build relationships with them.
If you don’t have a lot of videos, start by turning your photos into videos using Instagram templates. The slideshow format is especially useful for showcasing your products.
Click “Use Template” in the rotation you like and you’ll be able to replace the clips or photos with your own and it will match the timestamps of the template.
If you still want to post photo posts, consider slideshow posts instead. One Instagram post can contain up to 10 pictures. When you post slideshow posts, Instagram’s algorithm shows them multiple times if a follower hasn’t seen all the pictures in the post.
Also: Shopping at Reels. a new way to discover and sell your products
Align your content with your brand message
Instagram is a great place to find your potential customers, but in order to do that, you need to show through your content who your company is, what its values are, and what value it can provide to its target audience. This helps Instagram’s algorithm recommend your content to the right audience.
To gain and maintain followers, you need to reach beyond those who are just interested in your updates. After all, you’re competing for space with your followers’ closest friends.
So be a friend. Be a personality. You don’t have to post your products all day, every day. The goal is to create an emotional connection with your potential customers.
There are many ways to frame your message. To begin, try to find the answers to these questions:
- Why did you start your company?
- How did you come up with your product ideas?
- What is your message to the world?
- What do your customers value about your brand and why?
- What is the concept that underlines your entire web presence?
- How does your product work in real life with different people?
- What is the general sentiment of your brand?
- What general areas might your followers be interested in?
Remember that your brand message must align with your audience’s interests and values. No one reads adult books for children. There is no point in attracting a vegetarian audience by telling them about the life of a hunter.
The same goes for collaborations with other brands and influencers. Partner with companies and creators whose followers share the same values as your brand. People are more likely to subscribe to your profile when they see a collaboration post if they are genuinely interested.
Learn more. Ecommerce Content 101: Easy Types of Content for Your Business
More tips for brands on Instagram
Having an Instagram account for your business can be really effective. Once you get used to the process, it will only take you a few minutes to create and post content.
Check out our attractive spinner ideas for connecting with potential customers and promoting your business. Once you’ve built a solid following, it’s time to start generating sales with stories.
Have you already mastered your Instagram profile? Tag your pictures with #ecwid_store so we can feature you on our page.